Monday, September 22, 2003
      ( 8:33 AM ) Rebecca  
I'm getting chillingly efficient at this breakup thing.

It helps that it was only three months, and that I expected it to come crumbling down at any second, and like Jezebel says, I poured some "concrete walls" around my heart.

But I just keep running from the sadness and it doesn't get me. It's become a drill. I pull my friends around me like a blanket, I stay up late, I write, I ride my bike. I pedal fast in the late September sun that just keeps coming even though I wish it would rain.

He accused me one day, of not being "totally emotionally open" to him, of being "hot and cold," and I thought, on the one hand, my GOD. Look who's talking!

On the other hand, I thought, well yeah. How else am I supposed to be with someone like him? Someone who keeps pulling me closer, than the closer I get the farther he pushes me away?

In the old days, I would have let myself get completely wrapped up, red flags be damned. I would have thought, because this feels right, it is right. Because we love each other, things will work out.

Ha.

I had my little fantasies, but I certainly wasn't about to give them any room to grow. And so, to quote one of my favorite books, I would say about this breakup:

"...We're too old to make each other miserable, and that's a good thing, not a bad thing...Those days are gone, and good f*cking riddance to them; unhappiness really meant something back then. Now it's just a drag, like a cold or having no money. If you really wanted to mess me up, you should have got to me earlier."
-Nick Hornby, "High Fidelity"

| #
E-mail Breakup Babe






My novel BreakupBabe is out! You can buy it here.

Check out my author blog here, and my new personal blog here.


Photo by Bradley Hanson

This blog was the inspiration for my novel. It helped me get through a horrible breakup and kept me entertained for years. But all good things must come to an end. I will recycle oldies but goodies from the archives here, but will blog about about writing here, and about all kinds of other stuff here.

The Nice Peeps Who Link to Me

Powered by Blogger